TEMPLE PURA RAMBUT SIWI
This under-visited temple is between Negara and Medewi Beach. The Rambut Siwi Temple is one of the biggest Hindu Temples in Bali.
When the sixteenth-century Hindu priest Nirartha sailed across from Java, he paused at this spot and claimed it as holy. On leaving, he donated a lock of his hair to the villagers, who erected a temple and named it Pura Rambut Siwi, "the temple for worshipping the hair". The gift is kept in a sandlewood box inside the central 3-tiered meru.
Perched among frangipani on a promontory overlooking the sea, Pura Rambut Siwi occupies a truly beautiful site, set in the cliff bank with wide Indian Ocean just in front. Inside are shrines to Dewi Saraswati, the Goddes of learning and Dewi Sri, the rice Goddes.
8 kilometers west of the temple Rambut Siwi you find this magnificent temple of white rock overlooking the river Perancak The coastal village of Perancak is named for this ancient temple, where the hindu priest Dang Hyang Nirartha first set foot on Bali in 1546.
Nirartha was responsible for facilitating and refashioning Balinese Hinduism. He was an important promoter of the idea of moksha in Indonesia. He founded the Shaivite priesthood that is now ubiquitous in Bali, and is now regarded as the ancestor of all Shaivite pandits.
On the Perancak river an amazing sight of the small traditional jukung and sampan boats can be seen quietly resting on the river. They were brought to Bali by the Bugis seafarers who settled at the end of the 17th century.